Greek Lemon Soup
This recipe was passed on to me from a Greek colleague. It’s his mother’s recipe so is an authentic family recipe. The only change I’ve made is to leave out the part about cleaning and plucking the chicken – I think most of us will use an oven-ready version!
1 oven-ready chicken
1 handful of rice per serving
5 Tablespoons lemon juice
Pepper & salt
1. Place chicken in large pan, cover with water, add a teaspoon of salt and remove foam as it comes to the boil.
2. Boil for 1 hour.
3. Add chopped carrots, onion and potatoes and boil for a further 30 mins.
4. Remove chicken and vegetables and place in a tray.
5. Add rice to the stock plus salt and pepper to taste and boil for 15 mins.
6. Whisk eggs to a foam then slowly add lemon juice.
7. Continue to whisk hard whilst adding the hot stock from the pan.
8. Return to pan and boil for 2 mins.
The soup can then be served or for a more substantial soup, add chopped chicken.